THRIFT STORE FINDS
08/12/2010 § 1 Comment
Your local thrift store provides you with the bare bones of great household goods waiting to be re-found and transformed into design gems. What’s the trick? Recognizing the potential behind the items by learning to look at the core of the items instead of their current finished state.
Questions to consider:
1. Is it an interesting design (the form, proportions, size) ?
2. Is it built in a sturdy way?
3. Is it made out of good material (real wood or metal, authentic paintings, etc.)?
Easy changes that could transform the item:
1. Could it be more interesting if you painted it a different color?
2.What if you upholster with different fabric?
3. What if you just polished the metal?
4. What if you changed the hardware or other pieces (for example: lamp shade, handles, frame)?
Be creative and play with different techniques. Visit your local Home Depot to explore the materials offered that allow for infinite possibilities of changes you can make.